Tribal Tattoo Forum Forum Index Tribal Tattoo Forum
Polynesian and other tribal tattoo

AlbumAlbum  FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Album

Mysterious latte stones

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Tribal Tattoo Forum Forum Index -> Polynesia & Ethnic Culture
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Phil
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2008 10:59 pm    Post subject: Mysterious latte stones Reply with quote

A new member called Dominic just said he had a "latte stone" tattoo...
As I had no clue what that was, I googled "latte stone" and I am posting what Wikipedia says about it.

A latte stone, or simply latte (also latde), is the term for a pillar (haligi) capped by a hemispherical stone capital (tasa) with the flat side facing up. Used as building supports by the ancient Chamorro people (people of the Mariana Islands), they are found throughout most of the Marianas Islands.

While none of the early European visitors to the islands appear to have drawn pictures of latte stones in use, several accounts from the 1500s and 1600s state that houses were erected on the stones, with one eyewitness specifying that the structures on lattes were used to shelter proas (sailing canoe) and served as community meeting places. However, the lack of definitive, consistent evidence means that all theories are disputed. Some archaeologists believe that only high status Chamorros lived in structures built on latte stones, while others have put forward the theory that all Chamorros in the Latte Period lived in latte structures, and that the height and number of the stones in the structure indicated social status.

Latte stone set on Guam
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Personal Gallery of Phil
Waltah

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2008 12:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was born and raised on Guam. Ive actually built one of those in high school Laughing People use to build hut like homes on them....thats pretty much all i remember about them. And the picture looks like Hagåtña park. Its some what a symbol of power and unity.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Personal Gallery of Waltah
Phil
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2008 12:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Must be pretty cool to have your house set on these pilars!

I wonder what a "latte stone" tattoo look like...
Maybe Dominic will post a picture of his...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Personal Gallery of Phil
Waltah

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2008 2:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here are some ive seen on the net....

http://k53.pbase.com/v3/71/561171/1/45931120.IMG_3433.jpg

http://viewmorepics.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=viewImage&friendID=230596007&albumID=856458&imageID=20780376

Might need a myspace to see the 2nd one...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Personal Gallery of Waltah
J.Asia.D

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 2:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thats the memorial park in Guams capitol.
im actually planning my next tattoo around latte stones because they symbolize Guam. It's going to be kind of difficult because not alot of artist in the states know this figure and you spend half the time trying to explain everything and getting the shape right lol (well atleast thats what happened to my cousin)

[GUAHAN<3]
13N/144E what you know bout that?
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Personal Gallery of J.Asia.D
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Tribal Tattoo Forum Forum Index -> Polynesia & Ethnic Culture All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: